Vision, Mission, Values
Educate. Empower. Engage.
The Public Square is a non-partisan education organization operating a platform of services and programs which serve individuals and organizations to improve our general welfare by raising the level of public dialog, participation, and effectiveness.
The Public Square uses education and communications programs to educate, empower, and engage individuals and organizations. We work to increase understanding and trust between individuals, organizations, and institutions; to raise the caliber of public dialogue and participation. We educate and support independent mentors with our platform of services. These programs are developed and delivered to individuals and organizations as learning communities using online and in-person delivery.
We serve three customer segments:
- Lifelong learners who desire to improve their lives and the lives of their communities.
- Organizations (public, private, and not-for-profit) that share our vision, mission, and values.
- Leaders, teachers, and mentors, who share our organizational values and who wish to offer their knowledge and experience in The Public Square.
Growth Mindset. Education grows minds, builds hearts, and deepens perspectives. Education advances civilization. We serve to educate open minded, independent thinkers with the faith that diverse opinions, diplomatically crafted, produce better outcomes for the greatest number.
Integrity. Support those who would raise the level of individual responsibility, honest expression, transparent reporting, and scientifically verifiable evidence. Oppose those who would demean, suppress, mislead, or usurp the pursuit of truth, individual growth or empowerment. We keep our commitments; credibility is our currency.
Balance. Hard problems don’t have easy solutions; easy, dualistic solutions are crude and favor the few: creating unintended consequences and victims. We strive for balance in views and perspectives, recognizing that nuanced and finely crafted solutions reflect the intelligence of the community and serve the greatest number.
Compassion. Work to increase compassion and community as necessary conditions for optimal solutions. “Civility means stepping up and owning responsibility for the feelings of others.”
Empowerment. Support opportunities for self-representation in government and the rights of the individual in commerce. Being able to matter in the world is necessary for personal and civic health, and a full and realized life.
Inclusiveness. Support the creation of vibrant economic opportunities for the many. Advance social, civic, and economic participation. We value diversity and inclusion.
Code of Conduct
- Be good listeners, honest communicators, inclusive, willing to be wrong and grow. Behave with emotional intelligence.
- Respect truth, honesty, evidence, and reason… all with compassion.
- Recognize the messiness of the ever-changing world: we must all navigate competing goals and values to peacefully co-exist.
- Have the long view: understand and accept that the end of all disputes are inevitably diplomatic.